Spicy Ginger Carrot Soup
Whether there's a chill outside or not, comforting soups are perfect. This ginger carrot soup is no exception. The carrots are loaded with beta carotene, and other phytonutrients that help reduce the risk of cancer and cardio vascular disease. The ginger packs a huge immunity boost with its ability to guard against the common cold and the flu.
The soup is a snap to make up. It should only take about an hour from start to finish, and that may be a high estimate. It will really depend on how fast you can peel, slice and dice vegetables. If you enlist the help of your kids, it may go more quickly.
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sm onion, diced
- ½ cup celery stalks, diced
- ¼ cup ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1½ lbs organic carrots, peeled and diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dash of cayenne
- In large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add celery, onion, ginger, & garlic. Sauté for 5-10 minutes.
- Add carrots and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Puree the soup in batches using a blender or food processor.
- Season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste.