Shakeology: Perfecting Texture and Taste Shakeology is really good! I promise!
People who have been disappointed by other shakes on the market commonly resist the idea of engaging in any kind of nutrition plan that includes another similar product. They say:
- It was a waste of money.
- I didn't lose weight with it.
- It left me hungry!
- It didn't taste good.
- I couldn't stand the texture.
All of these are completely understandable comments, especially considering that these products don't even come close to comparing to Shakeology. But, without getting a chance to sample Shakeology, it's impossible to understand the difference.
You may be used to ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS:
First and foremost, Shakeology is 100 percent natural. It was developed by a vegan expert with masters degrees in nutrition and agricultural anthropology. He created Shakeology with NO artificial colors, flavors, stimulants, sweeteners or chemically-modified micronutrients. Nearly every other shake on the market (for weight loss, protein or other uses) contains significant amounts of manmade chemicals, artificial flavors and sweeteners and cheap fillers, specifically soy. The producers of other shakes dump in these chemicals to make their products live up to what most of us have been brainwashed to think things should taste like. We are so accustomed to artificial junk in our food, that we don't recognize natural flavors and reject them as tasting bad. Shakeology is the cleanest, purest product possible.
TRY MIXING WITH ALMOND or COCONUT MILK:
Because it's made from all natural ingredients, it's not chemically formulated to be perfectly smooth. Because of this, some users initially think it's gritty or extremely thick. It can be, but you can work on your preparation methods to make it thinner and smoother. First of all, adding milk, to your formulation will make it much smoother than just water. I highly recommend unsweetened vanilla almond milk (not dairy) as your base. If your shake is still too thick or too gritty, reduce the amount of Shakeology you use or pour in an extra ounce of milk. It may require a little experimentation, but you'll get it right if you keep trying! I USE 12oz of fluid, but the packet will call for only 8oz making it thick!
ADD SMOOTH INGREDIENTS:
Additionally, you can change the texture of your shake by adding natural ingredients. I like to add peanut (or almond) butter, bananas, strawberries and ice. It makes it like a yummy milk shake! Other ingredients to consider are Greek yogurt or avocado. Here are some of my PERSONAL FAVORITE RECIPES.
If you're using the vegan formulas, Beachbody experts indicate that they may actually have a more grainy texture as a result of the rice and pea proteins used. Consider switching to the non-vegan options.
BLEND IT WELL BABY! Lastly, consider investing in a quality blender, I use a Ninja. A cheap, discount blender won't break it down enough to make it truly silken, regardless of how many other things you put with it. However, it will make it much smoother than simply using a shaker cup will. Blending it longer may help with the texture.
If you just can't get past the fact that you're replacing a meal or snack with a shake and NEED something to physically eat, consider one of these recipes. I fully understand that sometimes you just need to put something in your mouth and chew on it -- otherwise, I get "hangry," too! These are great ways to incorporate your Shakeology into your diet:
CHOCOLATE SHAKEOLOGY PUDDING (Makes 4 servings)
- 1½ scoops Chocolate Shakeology
- 1 ripe medium avocado
- 1 medium banana
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Place Shakeology, avocado, banana, almond milk, and lemon juice in blender; cover. Blend until smooth. (If too thick, add additional almond milk.)
- Pour into four dessert cups; refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until set.
CHCOLATE ENERGY BARS Makes 12 servings, 1 bar each)
- 4 scoops Chocolate Shakeology
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup chopped raw walnuts
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup all-natural creamy organic peanut butter
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Combine Shakeology, oats, walnuts, and raisins in a large bowl; mix well.
- Add almond milk and peanut butter; mix well with a spatula or by hand.
- Place in an 8 x 8-inch pan that is lightly coated with spray. Press down to flatten in to pan. Refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Cut into 12 bars.
VANILLA NO-BAKE COOKIES (Makes 15 servings, 1 ball each)
- 1½ scoops Vanilla Shakeology
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup all-natural organic peanut butter
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup sliced raw almonds (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- Combine Shakeology, almond flour, and oats in a medium bowl; mix well.
- Add peanut butter and almond milk; mix well with a spatula or by hand until it forms a thick batter.
- Roll mixture into fifteen balls, each about 1-inch in size.
- Roll balls in almonds.