Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem and Jenny Craig vs Beachbody
Truly, weight loss is not rocket science. It boils down to consuming a proportionate number of calories compared to the number you burn on a daily basis. Basically, less in and more out.
But, getting that equation right is infinitely difficult. Millions of people struggle daily with weight loss. According to the National Institutes of Health, over one-third of Americans are obese, according to healthy weight standards. The Centers for Disease Control indicates that obesity can lead to conditions such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and many kinds of cancer.
Marketers for long-established programs such as Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem and Jenny Craig present a sales pitch that it's easy and painless to drop weight. But, while these programs may help an individual reduce her waist size, they don't necessarily promote overall good health. As a result the program results are limited and often very temporary.
Your weight loss journey should be a lifestyle change that will create a healthy body, inside and out. Not only should you look fit on the outside, but your body should be healthy inside, too. Your weight loss goals should include learning how to properly fuel your body so it operates at full function and incorporating healthy portions into your lifestyle.
While programs like the ones mentioned above may help you lose weight, they don't teach you how to eat for health so they only offer temporary and superficial results.
For example, Beachbody Coach Christina shares that when she did Weight Watchers many years ago, she would save all of her points up so she could gorge on pizza for dinner. "I'd use up my points for crappy processed foods and use every excuse not to have to eat my fruits and veggies," said Christina. And, the plan said it was ok. She was following it to a "T." And, while she may have dropped some pounds, she didn't learn anything about how to eat properly for health.
Consider these comparisons between Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem and Jenny Craig (as examples) and Beachbody:
- Beachbody discourages the use of artificial sweeteners. Many artificial sweeteners are linked to cancer, diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Additionally, many studies have indicated that artificial sweeteners have the same addictive effect as sugar and will actually increase cravings for unhealthy sweets. Their consumption may actually result in weight gain, instead of weight loss. Each of these other three programs encourage the use of artificial sweeteners and sugars in their products and diet plans.
- Beachbody encourages lowering your salt intake. While the other programs do not suggest you should increase your sodium levels, their programs contain high levels of sodium in their processed items.
- Beachbody teaches you how to eat real food. Instead of counting calories or points or adhering to a pre-established, supplied meal plan, Beachbody teaches you how to cook real food and learn its value, proper portion allowances and how to balance your diet. Through limitless choices, you learn which foods are good for you and how food groups should be proportioned with each other.
- Other programs recommend a multi-vitamin to supplement what it lacks in nutrients. Beachbody programs do not lack anything! By drinking your daily Shakeology® and eating according to a recommended meal plan, you are getting all of the vitamins and nutrients you need.
- Beachbody doesn't rely on pre-packaged foods. Other programs have their own line of convenience foods that you can choose from to make your meal planning easier. These processed foods contain little fiber, few antioxidants and not enough calcium. However, they contain lots of artificial ingredients, synthetic nutrients, preservatives and fats.
- Beachbody emphasizes activity. While other programs don't discourage exercise, Beachbody encourages all participants to get active. Physical fitness and exercise are keys to weight loss. Muscles burn more calories than fat, so toning that physique is a necessary part of any fitness journey. And, there are programs for all levels -- beginners to experts. Even if your physical conditions cause limitations, there are still exercises you can enjoy.
- Relationships are part of the Beachbody journey. While your local Weight Watchers group may have a leader (or coach), it's not the same thing. You develop a personal relationship with your Beachbody coach so that you can ask questions, receive motivation and share victories with. Online challenge groups are regular activities for Beachbody customers, as are in-person fitness activities. Throughout your journey, your coach becomes your cheerleader, mentor and friend.
You may be able to lose weight on nearly any program that helps you reduce your calories. However, choosing a method that focuses on overall health vs. weight loss is key to an ongoing lifestyle change. If you're really serious about losing weight, keeping it off and getting healthy for life, I can't think of any other program besides Beachbody that wins hands down!
Want to JOIN my 30 day online ACCOUNTABILITY group?! I’d love to have YOU! CLICK HERE!