Healthy Tortilla Chips and Salsa
Tortilla chips are one of the best snacks on the planet, especially when paired with salsa.
Most, however, are a deep-fried mess of chemicals and additives.
5 Corn Tortillas (Organic and Gluten free options are readily available)
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees
- Stack tortillas together, using a pizza cutter or knife to slice into shape.
- Spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet, spacing at least 1/4" apart. This will ensure they won't be chewy. Sprinkle them with a touch of salt.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes or until crispy and golden brown on the edges.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes. This will allow them to get even more crispy.
Two (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles (or without)
One (28 oz) can whole tomatoes with the juice
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 whole jalapeno, minced (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 lime, juiced.
- Combine both types of tomato, cilantro, onion, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, salt, sugar, and lime juice in blender or 12-cup food processor.
- Pulse until blended how you like. Restaurant style is often pretty thin, but chunkier can be better for chips!
3. Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour to let the flavors blend.