Classic Baguette - French Bread Recipe
This quintessential “French Bread” is perfect for soups, table bread, garlic bread, and the entirely American French dip.
Ingredients 1 - 1/4oz package active dry yeast 1 tbsp. honey 1 ½ cups warm water (Must be warm for yeast) 2 tsp. Sea salt 4 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour Grapeseed oil
1. Place yeast, honey and warm water in a mixing bowl and let sit for 5 minutes, until foamy
2. In a seperate bowl, whisk flour and salt together. Using a spoon, stir 2 cups of the flour mixture into the yeast mixture until thick. Slowly stir in the remaining flour. The dough will be stiff at this point.
3. Lightly flour a large cutting board or a clean counter, as well as your hands. Adding the dough ball from your mixing bowl, carefully knead the dough until it is elastic and firm. About 5-7 minutes of steady working. You may need to add flour 1 tablespoon at a time to help dough keep from sticking.
4. Lightly oil the inside of a large bowl. Roll your kneaded dough in the bowl until it is lightly coated with the oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, allowing to rise for 1 ½ hours, or until doubled in size.
5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Before removing dough from bowl, lightly punch it downwards so that any air bubbles will be removed. Shape into two oblong shapes for baking.
6. Dust the top of each loaf with flour. Placing on a lightly greased baking sheet, let rise in this position for 30 minutes.
7. Using a serrated knife, cut 4-5 large slits in the top of each loaf. Sprinkle with cool water.
8. Bake on center rack for 25-30 minutes, until golden. Transfer to a rack to cool. Sommelier Suggestion: For a great pairing, have with a bold Cabernet Sauvignon.