Basque Pipérade with Egg
This is a vibrant, delicious French stew centered on fresh peppers.
Ingredients 1 quart whole peeled san marzano tomatoes 1 pint pureed san marzano tomatoes (optional) 4-6 whole roasted sweet red bell peppers 10-15 cloves sliced garlic 1 1/2 whole yellow onions, diced 3-4 large eggs 2 tsp smoked paprika 1 tsp chili powder 2 bay leaves 1 tsp kosher salt 1 tsp cracked black pepper 1 tsp sugar (optional) 1 cup olive oil 6-8 slices of baguette, brushed with olive oil
Directions 1. Preheat oven to 425. Chop onions, peppers, and garlic.
2. Saute onions and garlic in a lightly oiled pan until translucent on medium/high heat. Add spices except bay leaves, saute until they are “bloomed”, (or easily smelled cooking.)
3. Add tomatoes to pan. Breaking them up with a spoon. Add peppers.
4. Add bay leaves to pan, season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Turn stove heat to low, simmering for 25-30 minutes.
6. Move 2 cups of this mixture to an oven-safe pot. A paella pan works well.
7. Make scoops in the top of the mixture as a resting place for the eggs. Crack each egg into its bed.
8. Bake 7-10 minutes, or until the egg whites are cooked and the yolk remains runny.
9. Serve with sliced, toasted baguette.
Sommelier Suggestion: Pair with a Cabernet Sauvignon.