Antipasto the Healthy Way
Antipasto simply means "before the meal". The ideal antipasto is a treat for the senses that stimulates the appetite and helps to create a great atmosphere. There are no hard and fast rules, so you can go with healthy ingredients and still accomplish the antipasto goals.
Consider your entire meal when selecting ingredients for your antipasto. Choose items that will compliment the meal. Serving sizes should be small. Offer an eye-pleasing teaser of delicious morsels to get everyone in the mood for your delicious dinner.
Antipasto Menu Suggestions:
- Marinated artichoke hearts
- Caprese salad - sliced tomatoes, basil, and fresh mozzarella drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- Chunks of melon wrapped with shaved prosciutto
- Roasted peppers
- Hummus with an assortment of veggie sticks
- Fresh figs
- Roasted almonds
- Grilled vegetables
- Natural deli meats with no added nitrates or nitrites
- Whole olives or olive tapenade
- Seared tuna
- Fresh fruit in bite sized chunks or balls
- Cheese in moderation, the fancier the better
- Something fresh and delicious that caught your eye at the market
Keep it simple, but inviting. Remember that antipasto is not the main course.